Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, July 13, 2009

Bye-bye binky? Not so much

This weekend I tempted Kevin with the idea that he give up his binky at bedtime. I asked if he would like to trade his binkies in for a new tricycle. He LOVES the tricycle at his school! Of course he said "YES" right away. I told him if he went to bed on Saturday night without his binky that we would go to the store and "buy" a new tricycle with his binkies on Sunday.

Saturday night bedtime.... he could only make it through one story before searching throughout his bed for his binky. "Where'd my binky go, I need it", he repeated several times. I guess I was too weak, I gave it back. The first thing he asked for on Sunday morning was his tricycle. He doesn't get it....

Sunday we found this book at the library: Bye-Bye Binky
We have read it a few times. I think he follows the story, but through the course of the book, Kevin gets very worried about the little boy's binky.

We aren't sure if we're on the right track - how do we get rid of this thing? I think it would be way to0 traumatic to take it away cold turkey (guess I should have done that well over a year ago!!! hey - we were living in limbo in someone else's home last summer, I wasn't about to do it then!) I think we will keep talking about it during the day, he might surprise us and give it up sooner than we think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was having major problems with my son's binky addiction! My friend absolutely raved about the cut method, and all of the psychology behind it. She emailed me a link to a site that has a free publication ( www.bye-bye-binky.com -supported by advertisements) on dropping the binky, so I tried it. Very cool stuff, worked beautifully for my son. Four days later he did not want anything to do with his binky. Highly recommended! I am also interested in others experiences with this method.... Bella