Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 10, 2011

A childhood first...

This story makes me sad, but I know this is a childhood first (not all milestones, or "firsts" are happy occasions):

Yesterday we had 2 friends over for a playdate. One of the boys turned out to be a real brat and shoved Kevin off couch and called him a loser. The moms heard the thud and crying and ran to the playroom. Both boys were upset because they bumped their heads, Kevin got a bloody lip. Once Kevin stopped crying a little bit, he was able to tell me that "boy x" shoved him and called him a loser. Boy X confessed and his mother was embarrassed.

The part that still gets me is the look on Kevin's face and tears in his eyes as he said to me, "Mommy, I'm not a loser". Later that afternoon Kevin and I snuggled on the couch to watch cartoons during Katie's nap. Normally, I am busy doing chores or cooking dinner, but decided my time was much better spent snuggling with my sweet boy.

Needless to say, there won't be anymore playdates with boy X. I know that this was not the most awful thing that could have happened. I recognize that he will learn words much worse than "loser" on the bus to kindergarten. But for now, this hurt him and because of that it makes me sad. I know he will face much harsher words from mean kids at school someday. For now, I am so proud that Kevin is not the mean kid. We must be doing something right.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

ohhh boy X is a loser!! :( Poor Kevy!

Kelly said...

Poor little munchkin... Mean kids suck. Good job showing him how to shrug it off and that the opinions of random people don't matter as much as those of the people who love him.