The big day we were all waiting for came - and we survived!
There's a lot of new things to figure out when entering a new school system; bus, lunch, snack, online cash accounts, dismissal routines, take home Monday folders, recess, bathroom breaks, the immediate request for 5 year olds to fundraise (that makes me crazy, but I digress)...
Both Nate and I were very impressed with how Kevin handled the adjustment to his new school. We tried very hard not to overwhelm him with thousands of questions when he came home, but slowly, he has shared some details. Kevin did not know anyone from preschool, knew no one on the bus, but he has quickly made friends. Friendships seem so simple at this age, his two new best buddies are the kids that sit at his table. Yesterday afternoon we had the opportunity to meet his teacher again and have a quick conference to check in on Kevin's adjustment to school. The teacher shared with us that Kevin is great fun to have in class, he's very social and always involved in the lessons. Needless to say - we are two very proud parents!
Kevin chose this new super hero shirt for his fancy back to school outfit! There was just no way I could convince him to wear a preppy striped polo shirt, he was just way to happy to show off his Captain America shirt. (I prefer to save my strength for the dinnertime battles that have come up lately).
Of course Tiger went to school with Kevin, so cute :)
No worries - he climbed right on the bus and gave us a HUGE wave out the window. (Yes, I was wearing sunglasses at 7:45 in the morning so he couldn't see my tears. It's a mom thing...)While I am so proud of Kevin's adjustment to school, I am not so happy with how tired & cranky it has made him. We will continue with earlier bedtimes and I hope things will improve. I was told by many friends to be prepared for a cranky kid - they use up all their happiness & pleasantries at school and unleash it all at home. Just like the newborn phase, the hours of 4-7PM are not too pretty around here!
In an attempt to keep things calmer at home, Kevin isn't enrolled in any sports or activities this fall. We'll wait and see if he wants to try something this winter or spring.







No comments:
Post a Comment